Friday, May 30, 2008

Homage to an Italian Honeymoon

It all began at Art and Soul, with two book making classes I attended given by Albie Smith. It has blossomed into a full blown addiction. My beloved sister, Linda, is getting married tomorrow!! She and Tony are honeymooning in Italy. What better present than a handmade book to store photos and ephemera from thier trip? Work with me here, I just wanted to make another book! I made a mix of color washes using water and Golden Acrylics. I used Albie Smith's book kit purchased at Vendor night at Art and Soul. Scroll to previous post for pic of kit and contact info for Albie. Here is my chosen color palette, think ancient sun warmed stone......


There was a wonderful team running the store at Art and Soul. Marie and her cohort (whose name escapes me, so sorry) from Collage, were fantastic. They were the hardest working people in show biz that week. The variety and abundance of stuff I just had to buy was unbelievable. Topping the list was this Clear Gesso. oh yea. Clear. Tintable. shiver. Can you feel it? ok, getting a grip now......
In this application I used it straight out of the jar and brushed onto Archway stamps, also purchased at Vendor night from Lost Coast Designs. I dropped a benjamin at thier incredible booth. All of the stamps used in this book are from Lost Coast Designs, unless otherwise specified.
Here is a color wash over the dried gesso stamping.
And another wash over gesso stamp.....
Ooh aah, yet another one......
So this went on for about a week. Here are a bunch of my favorite pages. In this next one, I have added a piece of Albie Smith's handmade paper into the mix.
Torn page with gesso/colorwash archway.
Stamped and colorwashed torn paper. Stamp by Stamper's Anonymous.
Gesso'd Italian Poetry stamp. Love the texture. Stamp by Hero Arts.
More of Albie's cool paper. You know I really love my sister if I'm willing to give up all this awesome paper.
Mona's eyes. Creepy, yet all knowing, just like all us girls. teehee. Stamp by River City.
Next pics are just cause I couldn't narrow down the choices about which one to post......

Botticelli stamp from Invoke Arts.


Here I am deciding the order of the pages.
Adding book cloth to binding.
Almost ready to add paper.
Deciding placement of signatures.
Using Japenese screw punch through each signature.
Sewing signatures to binding.
Waxed linen, size 22 needle. Or maybe a little bigger.
Finished binding.
Fat Honeymoon Book!! Colors of cover are Golden Heavy Body Acrylics; Iridescent Bronze and Cobalt Teal. The covers in the kit came white with the stencil design already in place. I can't take credit for that!! I'm guessing Albie used Golden Light Molding paste on the book board. Since time was a factor for me, I'm glad the covers were already stencilled. When isn't time a factor???
The colors of Italy. In my mind. sigh.
Dedication page. Stamp just in case she had any doubt about the art thing........
Well, that's my Homage to An Italian Honeymoon. Much Love to Linda and Tony. Can't wait for tomorrow!! Ti Amo, Susan

7 comments:

  1. Susan, this is fabulous!!!! I love every single page, and thank you for being so generous with your technique. You should really do a workshop (hint, hint) at YOUR house, perhaps channeling a bit of Albie.

    Love, love, LOVE it!

    Sending my best wishes to your sister and Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous. I hope you treated your poor nails to a fab mani. Enjoy Saturday, post pics!! Love ya-
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan~Clear Gesso? OMGoodness, I need some of that! The stamps were the bomb, and the book turned out FABULOUS DARLING! And you know I mean that! I bet your sister and new BIN will love it ~You did a GREAT job.
    And...if you have a workshop, I am coming...LOL.
    How was the wedding? Gotta fill me in....
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book is absolutely stunning! Great work and such detailed instructions are inspiring me to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Thanks for the show and tell...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan Susan Susan! What a brilliant creation and a gift that must have touched your sister deeply! It IS a work of ART and I admire you also for being able to do such a coherent blog post, great info and photos - it's all good!!!! BTW, I am also impressed that you could part with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous art, Susan. Your sister and her new husband will love putting ephemera inside your wonderful book. Your tutorial was great.

    ReplyDelete