First step was picking some paper for the mermaid torso. I used scrap paper and free collage paper that was included in one of my issues of Somerset Studio magazine. The mermaid related stamps are all from Invoke Arts. One of my favorite rubber sources.
I used white ,and a color mix of my own making, embossing powders for the shell bras.
Next step was choosing the photo for the tails. I used a photo of the Sea I took while on vacation with my heart at the Outer Banks, North Carolina.
My inspiration for the tail was the stunning colors of angelina fibers I purchased during vendor night at Art and Soul. I also purchased some really cool rubber at this booth hosted by Doll Makers Ink. I used the directions from Sherrill Kahn's book, Creative Embellishments, on how to heat the fiber to make it "flat" and paper like. I highly recommend this book.
I used a teflon sheet, my iron, and a deep imprinted rubber stamp:
The rubber did not make much of an impression this time. Next time I'll use a thicker layer of fiber. I wanted an airy approach to the tail so I used a thin layer. I used the rubber tail piece as a guide to cut out the tails:
Used brads and sequins to attach all the parts together. I then use foam tape to attach the mergals to the page. Here are 3 different maids:
On the backs of the pages I embossed a Fred Mullett Sea Urchin stamp. I also listed my supplies and wrote out the whole quote by Jill Davis on transparencies. I adhered the transparencies with Glossy accents. :