Sunday, February 7, 2010

Quilters: Get Ready To Drool

Most of you know I work at The Vision Center inside Wal-mart. What you don't know is that the VC is right near the front door and it's very, very cold. My legs are cold all day. I hate the feeling of tights under my pants, just can't do it. Last week by the end of my 10 hour shift, I was this close to buying a down comforter and going home and getting right under it. And Staying There, Forever. When I say buying, I mean charging because I don't have extra money right now. Or Ever, Actually. teehee. Anyway, I resisted. I came home and started frantically attacking the big plastic tubs in my closet looking for blankets. My daughter came out and watched the show.
"What are you looking for?"
"An Extra Blanket, I'm %&*# freezing!!"
"oh."
So far each tub had things from my domesticated married life I never use anymore. Place mats, table runners, table clothes. Seriously, I was a completely different species back then. The lid came off the last tub, and I gasped.
"What's that Mom?"
"You've Never Seen this have you?"
"Nope."
"It's the Quilt my Grandma made for me when I got married. I've never used it. When your father and I had the house, it was displayed on a quilt hanger on the wall."
"Are you gonna use it?"
"(horrified)NO!!!! pause. Well, I never have. I have always been afraid that I'll ruin it. I never felt responsible enough or grown up enough to put it on my bed. " Hmmm I am almost 50 now....
"huh?" accompanied by a puzzled look.
"And what about Buddy Guy's black cat hair getting all over it?"
"Mom, if don't ever use it, you might as well have THROWN IT AWAY years ago."
Realization that my 16 year old is wise beyond her years follows.
"Who are you and what have you done with my daughter?" I say. She rolls her eyes.
So from that night on, this quilt has been my comfort and joy. I feel so loved under it.


Grandma chose the pattern and the colors. Most of the fabrics are recycled from other projects. Notice the red and blues? I just love red and turquoise together, maybe this quilt started it all!
Just look at the precision of the stitching, the corners. They just don't make them like this anymore. BY HAND.




Rachel Colvin Myers.

Deb, Susan Rae (middle named after you know who), Grandma, Linda.
And yeah, the quilt's covered with cat hair already. I don't think Grandma would mind. xoSusan

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the conversation between you and your 16-year old :) Glad you found that quilt and even more glad that you are using it! Grandma is smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome "find"! Isn't it nice that Grandma is hugging you every night while you're warm and cozy?!? One of my favorite sayings is: "What are you saving it for?" Your sainted daughter has the right idea!!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous quilt and handmade by Grandma is something really special! I'm sure she is happy to know you are wraping yourself up in her love.

    ReplyDelete