Friday, October 12, 2007

Fatbook moving Forward.....




My next step in creating my page was to add an anatomical heart image. On my drive home through Maryland from Hampton I stopped at an antique barn. I found a book titled "Library of Health", a 1925 edition with a wealth of black and white drawings and incredible colored plates. This is the origin of the anatomical heart. I scanned and made a gel transfer. I gesso'd the writing with letter stamps. For Home, I gesso'd chipboard letters and wrapped wire here and there. The Man in house stamp is one of Claudine Hellmuths. I also used a female torso stamp on top of the heart that is from My Stamps-an Art and Soul Vendor night purchase! The final step was the required original fabric element, measuring at least 1"x1". This step was the most fun. I used pink felt and "tortured" it. A technique I discovered reading &rew Borloz's comment on Tejae Floyd's blog. &drew learned this technique in a class given by Lesley Riley. Back to the torture! I painted with acrylics, used silk flowers as stamps, added clear UTEE on top of an embossing stamp and burned pinholes everywhere with a heat gun. I was careful to watch for "smoking" the felt (too hot), and wore a paper mask during the heating process. Next step was to attach the felt with brads to the front. I sewed a crack across each satin heart and wired it to the felt. I am pleased with the finished product! Each artist's offering in the final fatbook is quite wonderful. This is my fifth fatbook with Marian as the host and in my humble op, the best so far!

1 comment:

  1. Morning, Susan! I'm so glad you posted your Blog information and happier you posted how you created your beautiful Fatbook Page--Awesome. Love those colors!

    Marian McBryde

    ReplyDelete